Ayers, Cale, Eno, Nico / June 1 , 1974 / 180g black vinyl LP
June 1, 1974 / 180g black vinyl LP
LIMITED STOCK. This is a one-off pressing limited to 1000 units worldwide, with only 200 for the UK.
June 1, 1974 was originally released by Island Records the same year in which it was recorded.
The idea for the concert came from Richard Williams (Island’s A&R), who suggested that the reunion of all of these Island artists would help generate interest in the label (which had up to then been primarily associated with reggae).
Brian Eno performs two songs from his debut solo album Here Come the Warm Jets (1973), while former Velvet Underground chanteuse
Nico delivers a stunning version of The Doors “The End”. Fellow former Velvet John Cale curdles the blood with his alarming take on Elvis Presley’s “Heartbreak Hotel”.
Kevin Ayers journeyed from his secluded lifestyle in France to appear and his performances take up the remainder of the album
The personnel is completed with Ayer’s extraordinary touring band The Soporifics – featuring guitarist Ollie Halsall (Patto, Timebox), exceptionally reinforced by Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine) and Mike Oldfield.
- Driving Me Backwards (ENO) (6:07)
- Baby's On Fire (ENO) (3:52)
- Heartbreak Hotel (CALE) (5:19)
- The End (NICO) (9:14)
- May I (AYERS) (5:30)
- Shouting In A Bucket Blues (AYERS) (5:07)
- Stranger In Blue Suede Shoes (AYERS) (3:27)
- Everybody's Sometime And Some People's All The Time Blues (AYERS) (4:35)
- Two Goes Into Four (AYERS) (2:28)
Line-up / Musicians
- Kevin Ayers / Bass, Guitar, Vocals
- John "Rabbit" Bundrick / Keyboards
- John Cale / Keyboards, Viola
- Brian Eno/ Synthesizer, Keyboards, Vocals
- Ollie Halsall / Guitar, Piano
- Archie Leggett / Bass
- Nico / Harmonium, Marimba, Vocals
- Mike Oldfield / Bass, Guitar, Vocals
- Eddie Sparrow / Percussion, Drums
- Robert Wyatt / Percussion, Drums, Vocals
Share this item: