Various Artists / Concert For George limited edition SDE-exclusive blu-ray audio
*If you are ordering from the EU please be aware that that goods may be subject to import VAT when they arrive from the UK*
Concert For George limited edition blu-ray audio
Dolby Atmos • Stereo Mix • #6.5 in the SDE Surround Series
Concert for George, newly remixed in immersive Dolby Atmos® Audio, available exclusively via the SDE shop, on the blu-ray audio format.
On November 29, 2002, one year after the passing of George Harrison, Olivia Harrison and longtime friend Eric Clapton organised a performance tribute in his honour. Held at London's Royal Albert Hall, the momentous evening featured George's songs, and music he loved, performed by an all-star line-up that included Clapton, Jools Holland, Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Monty Python, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Ravi and Anoushka Shankar, Ringo Starr, Dhani Harrison and many more.
Concert For George captures stunning renditions of some of the most significant music of the 20th century, including 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (featuring Clapton on guitar, McCartney on piano and Starr on drums), 'Taxman' (performed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) and 'The Inner Light' (covered by Jeff Lynne and Anoushka Shankar). Lynne, Harrison’s longtime friend and collaborator, produced the audio elements of the concert, while Clapton oversaw the entire proceedings as Musical Director.
Coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the momentous 2002 concert, fans will now have the opportunity to re-experience the concert in immersive Dolby Atmos® Audio, newly remixed by GRAMMY-winning engineer Paul Hicks and made available on this exclusive blu-ray audio.
This SDE-exclusive blu-ray will feature all the audio – the complete sound recordings – from Concert For George and therefore includes the beautiful Indian music performed/conducted early in the evening by Anoushka Shankar, the Monty Python numbers and Sam Brown's supreme rendition of Horse To The Water (with Jools Holland).The complete sound recordings run to almost 2 hours, have never been issued on CD and were only previously released as an audio product via the 4LP vinyl set issued in 2018.
Paul Hicks speaking about his work on the Atmos Mix for the SDE-exclusive blu-ray:
“With the fact that Apple and [others] have embraced spatial technology, I feel that people are ready to go a bit bolder in it now. When we did the theatrical [Dolby Atmos mix], you know, that's meant for screenings, so was a little bit more traditional. But with how people are listening to Atmos today, I thought we could go a little bit more daring with this [Blu-ray audio]…the format is [typically] where you’re looking at the band, but for this Blu-ray you're standing where the singers are—so it’s nice and immersive.
Having it on Blu-ray you get the advantage of the full-quality Atmos. It's a chance to hear [the concert] full-quality in all its glory". Paul Hicks, 2022
This is the only way to enjoy the Dolby Atmos mix of Concert For George via a physical product. The Blu-ray contains the following audio streams:
- Dolby Atmos Mix (mixed by Paul Hicks)
- PCM Stereo Mix (48/24) (mixed by Jeff Lynne & Ryan Ulyate)
The Concert For George Blu-ray audio will be available to pre-order for two weeks only. The pre-order window is now open and will close in early December 2022. Secure your pre-order in at the earliest opportunity, to avoid any disappointment.
The release date for this special Blu-ray audio edition of Concert For George is 24 February 2023, a day before what would have been George's 80th birthday. Your copy will ship a few days before that date.
Click the circular 'Pre-order' button at the top of this page to secure your copy.
This special release in the ongoing SDE Surround Series will not be shipping with an SDE slipcase.
NOTE: This blu-ray does not include any video, it's an audio-only product – a live album – that contains the remastered sound recordings of Concert For George newly mixed in Dolby Atmos, and in stereo.
TECHNICAL NOTES: This blu-ray audio requires a blu-ray player. Decoding the Dolby Atmos mix requires a Dolby Atmos-certified soundbar or a Dolby Atmos-compatible AV Receiver/Amp. The Dolby Atmos mix will 'fold down' to 5.1 or stereo if a Dolby Atmos decoder is not detected.
Dolby Atmos & PCM Stereo (48/24) Mixes
- Sarve Shaam
- Your Eyes – Anoushka Shankar
- The Inner Light – Jeff Lynne & Anoushka Shankar
- Arpan – Conducted by Anoushka Shankar
- The Lumberjack Song – Monty Python with Tom Hanks
- Sit On My Face – Monty Python
- I Want To Tell You – Jeff Lynne
- If I Needed Someone – Eric Clapton
- Old Brown Shoe – Gary Brooker
- Give Me Love – Jeff Lynne
- Beware Of Darkness – Eric Clapton
- Here Comes The Sun – Joe Brown
- That’s The Way It Goes – Joe Brown
- Horse To The Water – Sam Brown and Jools Holland
- Taxman – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- I Need You – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Handle With Care – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Jeff Lynne & Dhani Harrison
- Isn’t It A Pity – Billy Preston
- Photograph – Ringo Starr
- Honey Don’t – Ringo Starr
- For You Blue – Paul McCartney
- Something – Paul McCartney & Eric Clapton
- All Things Must Pass – Paul McCartney
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Paul McCartney & Eric Clapton
- My Sweet Lord – Billy Preston
- Wah Wah – Eric Clapton & Band
- I’ll See You In My Dreams – Joe Brown